Make It In March Competition 2020

Resin river coffee table

Just finished this under the wire!!! Pippy oak and coloured epoxy resin!

1 Like

#MakeItInMarch20

Set of tables

This set of tables have been made using a second hand oak kitchen top (mainly) and an old skirting board lying around tin he garage. The objective was to use the available wood to fabricate a set of less-conventional tables. Some of the tables have incorporated shapes from the cut-outs in the work top.

This is a 2 in 1 vine box and display. I made that as a present to my landlord for the electricity in my workshop :slightly_smiling_face:.

Dovetail Chair in Oak.
Last piece i made while studying Furniture at UCLAN university.

!

!

#make it in March Competition Uploading: 5F422785-CDF4-44A5-89CE-15FED8264DC3.jpeg…
Viking ships, 6ft high, 8ft long and 4 ft wide. Shields x5 ,two 4mx3m hand painted sails( red and white) and mast blocks. These are made from 100% recycled timber ( some from Chiltern wood recycling!) even the screws are old and left to weather and rust.
They were made for a stage set for a conference .
I’m trained as a fine furniture/ cabinet maker but I love to build props , even catering size baked bean cans were used .
I hope you like them, they took a good month to complete and sadly cannot be used due to corona virus.
Stay well one and all.
Paul

![image|666x500]
#make it in March 20
Two Viking ship prows ( 6ft high x8ft long x4 ft wide,5 shields , 2x 4mx3m sails hand painted and two mast blocks. Made from 100% recycled timber( some from Chiltern wood recycling) . Made as a stage set for a conference.
I am a fine furniture/ cabinet maker but I love making props, even catering size bean cans were used.
They took 3-4 weeks to complete but sadly will not make it to their destination due to virus.
Stay well one and all

1 Like

Russian Dolls

These have always fascinated me and as a child I marvelled at their mystery. A while ago I was at a fundraising event for a Moscow charity and bought a ‘5’ one.

When I got home and started studying it I though what a lot of wasted space and I can do better.

I suppose I could have been even more enthusiastic than I have and move up the range!

No 2 fits inside No 1(counting from the left)

No 3 inside No 4

Looking at the picture No 6 fitted inside no 4 and here I though there could be some ‘improvement’!

So I made a new No 5 to be a nice fit inside No 4.

No 7 is solid and fits inside my new No 5. (Should I try to make new No 7 hollow?)

That means I now have a spare No 6.

The inside of No 5 was a challenge. Eventually I freehand milled it out using my pillar drill on its fastest speed with a 2.5mm twist drill and using my Axminster magnifying head set with light (Christmas special offer) I could see how to do it.

When all made to size I sprayed it with sealant (brought from Axminster Pen making course!).

The paint was Acrylic and finished the two new ones with gloss varnish.image ![image|602x333]
(upload://eE7CpQO3O950ZVr6IyOCYEYfBPz.jpeg)

I’ve made a walnut and ash box with home made brass hinges and catch. The top and bottom ash panels are book-matched on the outside of the lid and inside the box base. The hinges and sliding latch are made from 3mm brass plate and 6mm rod.

Note - I’ve tried to add 10 photos showing more detail but am limited to one photo so I’ll posting the additional pictures separately.
Edit - I’ve only been able to add two more photographs in separate posts before hitting the limit of three consecutive posts :frowning:

1 Like

Bookmatched bottom panel and mitred corners

1 Like

Latch closeup

1 Like

Eventually managed to upload photo’s. Not Very computer savvy… :roll_eyes:

This was easy enough to do and it’s not the first one I’ve made. There are no curved components or any fancy joinery except for the exposed, wedged and rounded off tenons on the frame so it was all pretty straight forward; nothing difficult.

Good Evening Rob

I think that you have just demonstrated a typical self-effacing British sense of modesty. I still think that this appeals to me most out of all these projects because of the obvious sensitivity and restraint involved in the design decisons you have taken.

Peter Sharman

1 Like

I made this little arboretum as a gift for my grand daughter. Each tree is made from a different wood. Can you name the woods?

Many thanks Peter, that’s appreciated. Very little chance of me winning one of these competitions though as I used (for my sins) to work for the company; if you trawl back through ‘The Knowledge’ there’s quite a lot of stuff I wrote on there from 2014-17.

Now that ‘lockdown’ restrictions are easing in the UK, I have been able to order and fit the glass. This is the final finished cabinet complete with 6 ground and polished shelves.

:

A post was merged into an existing topic: Our Make It In March Competition Is Back