AC305WL woodturning lathe

I bought this lathe about 6 months ago and overall I am quite pleased with it. I have more enthusiasm than ability but hopefully time and practice will balance this out.
One frustrating thing about this lathe is it really struggles to cope with boring. I have tried all sorts of cutters, twist drills, forstner, flat, fluted and saw tooth bits and they all make the lathe struggle.
So I set about thinking how I could get over this. I concluded that the only way was to fit a more powerful motor.
Easier said than done! A bigger DC motor would require a new control box and even if I could source one it would be expensive.
I did however have a 1 to 3 phase converter left over from when my metal lathe had a 3 phase motor so I bought an 1100w 3 phase motor, made a couple of v pulleys on my metal lathe and mounted it on the back of the wood lathe. Result, happiness! boring is no longer an issue and the phase converter means I retain the variable speed feature.

That’s quite a modification - which will undoubtedly void any warranty issues you may have at a later date.
I just hope that the rest of the machine is capable of withstanding the additional stress to which you may now subject it, and that everything is properly guarded.
Happy turning.

buying-guides-icon clock first-look-icon googleplus how-tos-icon insights-icon instagram meet-icon tag whats-on-icon