Fine dust filter

I finally bought a two bag filter, helped but still to much dust escaping so today I added the fine dust filter with rotating paddle, quite a struggle to get it on as it is a push on rubber seal. Realised with the cold temperature the rubber seal was not flexible enough so I used my hairdryer ( I keep in the workshop to do my hair ) and warmed the seal then I managed to get it on but, it’s not an easy job.
Couple of queries for anyone who already has one, does it matter which way the rotor is turned, also how often should the paddle turned.
Keep safe and keep making sawdust

The bag filters ‘do what is says on the packet’ but it is never enough and the cartridge filter is a must if you want to keep healthy.
Internal inspection of my cartridge filter indicated that the paddle movement direction was not important, but I decided that it was inadvisable to keep altering the direction. I put a direction ‘arrow’ on the top surface of the Cartridge to remind me, and anyone else who might use my workshop, which way to rotate the handle.
Operating the paddle will depend on the use you give the extractor. I only use mine when sanding my turnings so usually do it about once an month - unless I am doing a ‘production run’ with plenty of sanding. (Probably once a week would be a good habit to get in to.)
Happy dust free working. Philip.

Thanks Philip, that was helpful I wasn’t sure about rotating in opposing directions. I am still getting plastered in dust from my new Dewalt tablesaw, I upgraded the tablesaw because the dust was coming back at me, it still did, so that’s when I upgraded the exstraction and it still is. I don’t know what else to do

I don’t have much experience of table saws but do not recall my son’s, and others I have used, throwing dust at me. I suggest that you check the airways are clear and open to full capacity over their whole length - including the connecting hose, which I believe should be 100mm diameter. If that has no effect you may have to investigate a guard mounted extract port, ie one on the over blade guard to remove the dust that is being retained by the blade and then swept up, over and forward through the non-active part of the blade rotation. I know that this type of extraction can be fitted to many table saws, but might be pricey.
Philip.

The airways are clear and as you say it is 100mm from the extractor intake to where it reduces to 60mm directly onto the benchsaw.
The Dewalt comes with the over blade extractor/guard as standard but, having that on curtails being able to make cuts which do not penetrate right through the thickness of the timber like when grooving.
All in all a bit of a pain, but thanks for your input and interest Philip
Regards Roy

Royckk

I have a bottom of the range Axminster trade cabinet table saw (an excellent saw I must say) and a 2000 cf dust extractor with the canister filter. I don’t know why Axminster even offer the bag filter as it is pretty much useless. I clean mine before most uses, moving the paddles both directions until the dust falling into the bag is at a minimum. The ledge on the housing below the filter cannot be cleaned so it will accumulate dust that ends end up blowing into the filter again. When time and ambition permit I will figure out how to easily clean the ledge.

I don’t know the configuration of your Dewalt saw but I modified my saw to extend the extraction housing all the way up to the underside of the table using a cloth backed vinyl material. This allows the blade to be angled. I extended it on three sides (can’t do the fourth side due to the spindle / pulley / belt which moves up and down). The front of the blade no longer sprays dust on the blade rise and angle mechanism, in fact I haven’t needed to clean it yet. This made a huge improvement in collecting the dust, then have it pulled away by the vacuum. I made a number of zero clearance inserts and I drilled a 38mm hole at the blade entry point. I have different inserts for different blade height settings. This helped in eliminating the amount of dust blowing out when I finish a cut.

Again with time and ambition I will buy a new dust extraction housing and modify it to allow a full 100mm hose attachment. The current housing is an oblong duct that is only about two inches across, thus limiting the airflow into the housing. When I turn the extractor on, the hose sucks in on itself, indicating there is a restriction.

I also modified the blade guard housing by installing an internal duct to direct the vacuum toward the forward 1/3 of the blade guard, where all the cutting action takes place.

With these modifications my two car garage stays pretty clean.

Hi Mike, it sounds as though the mods you have done on the extractor on your saw may be how the Dewalt comes with, I made a zero insert plate but still the dust comes, like you I tend to clean all the machines I have used each evening at close of play *.
The worst part is just as the blade exits the timber and it’s like a jet starts up and sprays me from head to toe, I’ve tried what I can and now I’ve given up and just wear plenty of PPE.
My Triton planer used to do the same with more of a vengeance but, I took the collector box of the back and threw it away then made a wooden one with a centre outlet. Took the extraction tube off the saw and connected, now virtually nothing escapes so it’s a pleasure to use.
Nice talking Mike, happy new year Roy

• read work

Good morning Roy,

Try making a hole in the insert plate as close to the blade as possible, in line with the blade. You will need different plates for different thickness of timber. How much flow do you get from your extractor?

I bought a Titan planner / thicknesser and with 2000 cf of flow it is pretty clean. For £159.00 from Screwfix is it one of the best value for money tools that I own.

Regards,

Mike Fletcher

Good evening Mike, I have the Draper single bag with the canister filter which gives 500 CFM, yes the Triton works well but before I modified the extractor take off it was rather messy. When I got the Draper extractor it was much improved but with the new extractor take off it does not let any out of the front.
I’m not sure what you mean about the hole in the insert plate on the table saw.
All the best. Roy.

1. List item

Good morning Roy, Attach the blank insert plate to your saw. Raise the blade to cut the insert but stop at a blade height for the timber you will be cutting, maybe a couple of mm over. Remove the insert and drill a 35 to 38 mm hole at the end of the cut. Make sure the hole includes the end of the cut. With this installed, the blade will cut the timber and as it exits the timber is has the room to push or blow the dust into the saw for collection, As I mentioned earlier you will need to have different plates for different thickness timber. I use these all the time and my table top stays pretty much dust free, although my extractor is 2000cf.

Good afternoon Mike, hope you are well.
Yes I can see the science of what you say and I will give it a go, I will have to make a new plate, fortunately I am mainly cutting the same timber till my stock runs out. It won’t be straightaway as I’m busy fighting with my new Chinese metal lathe, the Chinese engineering standard is abysmal but it’s not possible to buy anything that’s not Chinese.
Take care. Roy
Your extractor is a mightily powerful one with 2000cfm, what make is it ? I’m assuming that like me you are DIYerl

Roy, My extractor is an Axminster AC153E with a canister filter. It works well on my table saw, mitre saw and planner / thicknesser. Need anything else, let me know.

Mike Fletcher

Thanks Mike
Take care, regards Roy