Make It In March Competition 2020

This was the very first type of table i made (bedside table) I studied furniture making from 2017-2018 and loved every second of it, only wish i could find somewhere to work where.i could continue it as a career but unfortunately no luck yet.

The table top includes: American walnut lipping, zebrano inlay, ash accents, and maple plugs. Topped with a rosewood and walnut veneering which i jointed myself, the legs and frame of the table are made of solid ash with hand cut mitred, haunch jointed tenons!

1 Like

3 Likes

#makeitinmarch20 ; 25mm pine shelf and 15mm birch plywood brackets, all hand made for the girlfriend.

1 Like

Just finished this 000 12 fret acoustic. Oak back and sides, alpine spruce top, bog oak fingerboard and Bridge. Sound hole Inlay is 84 pieces of hand cot maple veneer. 12th fret inlay is abalone and tagua nut and head stock inlay is mother of pearl. Sound port, scoop cutaway and arm bevel also included.
Front

1 Like

soundhole

1 Like

Headstock

2 Likes

1 Like

My first attempt at a goblet; a present for my brother in law. As you can see, I have a very old lathe and have just started turning again after 25 years! I am pleased with it, although I’m not sure what the wood is!!?? I hope you like it.

1 Like

Hi…This table has been made solely from Ash which was used in the construction of Wicker Balloon Baskets. The centre section is made from 49 individual slices to create the effect. Its my first adventure into this type of woodworking, my background Is engineering, but, as I’ve recently retired I thought I would give woodworking a go. Hope you like it.

1 Like

An Arts & Crafts inspired lamp table based upon a design from the 1920’s and is made from crown-cut oak. It has inverted tapered legs and the rails have a decorative cut out feature that was quite fiddly to make!

1 Like

#makeitmarch

Lamp made from reclaimed oak base and beach branch with all cables hidden.

1 Like

#makeitinmarch

Hello all!

I’ve had some unexpected free time recently and bought 3 medium sized Oak boards from a local DIY store in order to make this side table (and to keep me busy.)

It’s amazing what gems of timber you can find if you’re prepared to sift through the pile for a while!

2 Likes

#makeitinmarch

A pair of subwoofers, that will also function as side tables by our sofa (part of the “deal” to get the design past the wife :grinning:):

I used solid oak kitchen work tops to match the oak used in our living room. Grain direction matches where there’s solid wood, and the baffles were made from MRMDF laminated with veneers cut from more of the same oak. As such, I’m hoping that any wood movement won’t compromise the cabinet sealing:

The baffles were cut to accept the speaker drivers, and the rears scalloped out for better airflow:

I pre-oiled the insides and baffles before glue up. You can just see the slots for dominos in the top panel, added for a bit of extra strength, and to stop the mitres moving around under glue up:

Braces were added to the insides to help minimise vibrations. These are fitted off-centre; otherwise you’re just creating a node in the panel, by splitting it into two identical sections that will vibrate at the same frequency:

Outside being scraped to get it smooth:

And the faces being planed:

Oiled with Osmo top oil:

Acoustic dampening pads added to the insides, and fitting the drivers:

Each baffle has sockets for adding a grille, which I may do later. They have Neutrik Speakon connectors on the bottom, and will be powered by an old Crown XLS2500 amp, being fed a signal from an (even older) Arcam AVR300.

5 Likes

This is a bookcase I’ve made for our new home in Bristol. It’s made from Birch, Ash and Walnut. I really wanted to play with some big retro Art Deco curves and contrasting colours. I’ve been chipping away at this around my working hours since Christmas. It was a big learning curve for me, but I’m super happy with how it turned out. I’m really looking forward to committing more time and making more pieces like this. I think I’ll make a coffee table next :smiley: Hope you like it!

Some arty shots

A nice little close up of the walnut and ash.

And finally, the proud maker!

3 Likes

MakeItInMarch20

1 Like

Rocking Horse in Oak, recycled Elm, and Mahogany finished with food grade Walnut Oil for my Granddaughter’s Birthday today.Sophie Horse 10 (upload://xDowACFLvqB5Ioo9gdzALc34Q4L.jpeg) Sophie Horse 19 Sophie Horse 5 Sophie Horse 8 !

1 Like

This is my Elm / Walnut double box, which has been stone engraved finish using a Dremel with burr tool. The height 18 inches tall and the walnut base is 9 inches diameter approximately. It took me days to make, the stone work was textured and spirit dye was added to the surface to make it look more like stone.

1 Like

here is my pierced spalted beech box it has a pierced lid with a glass finial. The piercing is made up of small hearts, some of which make a flower design.

1 Like

Here is my Elm box with stone effect engraving, using a Dremel tool. The engraving was also pyrographed to make the joints more prominent. the lid is also engraved and has a white glass finial. The size is 120cm X 90cm. This piece inspired me to do a lighthouse with the same design.

1 Like

Forklift model made from ash and Sapele finished with a coat of tung oil.

3 Likes