Make It In March Competition 2020

Model ATV or John Deere Gator made from ash and Sapele with a coat of tung oil

4 Likes

These are a couple of things I have been making

1 Like

Very modest by the standards of some of the things here, but this is a drop spindle made from Purple Heart. Very pleased with the finish on this. :grinning:

1 Like

MakeItInMarch20

1 Like

Decided to give woodwork a rest for a while…and I’m making beer…:+1:t2:

#makeitinmarch2020

Started carving in june, self taught so still loads to learn!

3 Likes

Looking at all the other fantastic entrants I doubt my project will get very far. There is some very high quality craftsmanship on display. I started this in early February and finished it yesterday.

2 Likes

This is my hollow form vase/urn. Not sure what wood I used, but I think its Sycamore. I have so much wood in so many places in my workshop, its hard to remember what wood it is. The wood has been coloured with spirit dye and has had 8 coats of lacquer, each layer has been lightly sanded before adding the next coat. The whole piece is very delicate. It measures 45cm high and 20cm wide. the second photo shows the whole thing dis

assesmbled

3 Likes

A trio of awls. The blades are reground SDS drills, two of the ferrules are repurposed and reshaped 18mm plumbing end caps. Zebrano and Goncarlo Alves handles. Sanding sealer and TruOil finish.

![image|408x500]

3 Likes

My ‘Make it in March 2020’ entry is this Krenov style ‘Fossil Cabinet’ in Brown Oak which has been made for my daughter in Carlisle. Joints on the stand are through mortice and tenons, wedged with Bog Oak; they were left around 3mm proud and then rounded over which is a difficult and very time consuming way of finishing but it looks effective once completed.

The handle is carved from a fragment of Bog Oak and the door catch is spring loaded in the classic JK fashion. There is also a solid twin panelled Brown Oak back which sits in a shallow rebate. It’s finished with a couple of coats of satin Osmo PolyX, followed by a good application of organic beeswax finally polished with a soft cloth. Owing to the current restrictions on movement, the glazing for the door and side panels as well as the six shelves with ground and polished edges will have to be left for another day.

4 Likes

Segmented box of Pippy Oak, Tulip and Sapele.
Finished with Hampshire Bronze embellishing wax

1 Like

Despite the very difficult time’s we face at present, the innocence of the children and their unwavering search for fun and adventure saw us create our own little playground with the limited tools we had with us. With the lack of materials and supplies we improvised with a few logs and bits of softwood and here is our super woodland see-saw. Built with my trusty estwing, from Axminster power tools, and a few straightened out nails, it was a welcome distraction during these tough times :+1:t2:

3 Likes

Irish bouzouki made for a chum of mine in Ireland. European walnut back and sides. German spruce top, flamed maple neck, view from my isolating balcony.

4 Likes

My new coffee table was made entirely from a very nice grained piece of Tulip wood that I came across a few weeks ago. The size of the table is only 800mm x 400mm but is just perfect for my small living room.

3 Likes

This is very nice any tips before I attempt to make one. Robert

Started woodworking last year due to illness. This is my first piece of furniture. Towel cabinet for the bathroom. Wedged mortice and tenons on the Oak top. Tusked wedges on the side pieces. Rest made from Ash. All cut by hand, so some new machinery would help considerably… Towel holder 1.jpg
Towel holder 2.jpg
Towel holder 3.jpg
Towel holder 4.jpg

heres a little flower turning. my first attempt with wood (poplar) so green water was coming out of it as i turned it, and it started distorting as i ‘progressed’

1 Like

#MakeItInMarch20

Jewellery box with veneered Celtic design inlay.

3 Likes

This is my first post, I hope I’m doing it right.
The photos are of a jewelry box I made for my wife, it is made of bubinga, figured sycamore, and mahogany.
Each drawer has a different configuration to store different sizes of jewellery.
It also has a secret drawer, but if I show it here it wouldn’t be secret, right? :wink:

7 Likes