Make It In March Competition 2022

A razor for my son. The wood I used is from an apple tree in my garden.
When he was a kid we used to make apple pies and apple sauce from that tree.
Now he’s shaving with it…

3 Likes

#makeitinmarch2022
Pierced ash sphere with ebonised finial and barley twist central column with pyrography on the base, 37cm high and 13 cm base.

2 Likes

A couple of simple bedside tables from some leftover Ash with Iroko dowel

3 Likes

#makeitinmarch22 / @axminstertools

I wanted to create something unique and very different for my granddaughter Millie. Something she could keep all her memories in. So I created this wooden scrap book, made from Padauk, tied up with string and finished with handmade brass hinges and padauk and brass lock that I just finished. Working and joining such thin 4mm timber was a bit of a challenge but I think worth the effort, I hope you like it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

#MakeitinMarch2022#

I was given an ultimatum from the boss. No more ‘messing in the garage’ until I can sit outside, in the rain, and stay dry…

1 Like

A selection of pens from various types of wood using the ‘tin can’ method for the Celtic knot effect.

1 Like

I have just finnished putting the back on these drawers
I started earlier this year, I used reclaimed oak floor boards

4 Likes

I designed and made a Dungeons & Dragons themed sword stand as a gift for a friend. The base is made out of American Black Walnut, I chose American Hard Maple for the inlay with the aim of creating a sharp contrast between the two spices of wood. The legs and upright components are attached to the base using mortice and tennon joinery. This project was a lot of fun to design and make.

#MakeItInMarch22 @axminstertools

1 Like

Wall hung Krenov style cabinet in London Plane. Lipped and veneered sides with two small drawers, solid panelled back. The door is made from a solid board, hand planed to a slight convex curve with a carved, recessed finger pull. The board that this cabinet has been made from had an interesting ‘fleck’ in the grain, the best bit of which can be seen on the back panel when the door is opened.

3 Likes

A collection of keepsakes made from my mother-in-laws old rolling pin, unfortunately she had to go in
to care so we had to clear the house and rather than throw the rolling pin away I thought I would recycle it, I made a markIng knife for my brother in law as he is a joiner, I used an old saw blade I had laying about for the blade, a perfume atomiser for the sister in law and a slimline heart pen and small trinket box for my wife. The pyrography was created using a laser engraver. I had to add some extra wood to the trinket box to increase the diameter to fit the hinge, not sure what wood it is but the spalting seems to work quite well.

Made using the Jason Breach box refinement tools. The tools, combined with Jason’s instructional box making video were a game changer! Thank you Jason! Spalted beech, ash lid and ebony finial.

#MakeItInMarch22 Owl figurines made from reclaimed spalted beech, head section oil finish, body section charred and oiled.

2 Likes

Great to see a growing community here - otherwise being a woodworking enthusiast can feel like a lonely place. Thanks to axminster for providing excellent tools and customer support to make our passion a reality.
This is a hall chair with drawer I made in an attempt to make the process of my two kids getting their shoes on and off less messy. In that regard it has been only partially successful. I’m really pleased that I took the time to carve the seats, I like the combination of curves and straight lines and it does feel a little more luxurious on my backside when I sit on it!

1 Like

A bird hotel made completely from offcuts. Made from oak, iroko and sapele.

Nested pair of bowls (yew and some mysterious unknown wood). Use the mystery wood bowl as my breakfast bowl every day now!

#MakeItInMarch22 @axminstertools

#MakeItInMarch22
@aximinstertools

Impossible floating table! Prototype made from jointed pine with oak dowels. The final table will be made from oak. In order to stop the top floating away, it is held down by 5 flexible steel cables (bicycle brake cables). How is this possible?

Bespoke Corner Cabinet with an laminated Ash board carcass, Wenge inner and Padauk supports. Front Apron is steam bent and laminated to match the curve of the overall piece.
It was designed to echo a soon to be installed woodburner in the opposite corner of the room.

Hi All. Recently bought a table saw from Axminster and this is my first go at segmented woodturning, segments cut using a sled jig I made for the saw. All reclaimed scrap timber, mahogany (old door), oak (stair tread offcuts), beech (old bed frame) and yellow heart (offcuts from another project).

I’ve just finished this stacking toy for my (nearly) 3 year old twins made of some Sycamore from a previous project sandwiched by oak from a salvaged drawer front to make up the thickness.

#MakeItInMarch22 / @axminstertools

1 Like