Make It In March Competition 2022

Paul J B

This is my latest and now favourite wood carving of an Owl and a very brave Mouse both hand carved and finished with pyrography and boiled linseed oil.

The Mouse is carved from a piece of yew with the tail being a piece of holly. The Owl is carved from Lime.

They are both mounted on a piece of creeping willow which I rescued after a friend was cutting it down.

#makeitinmarch22/@axminstertools

Continuing the discussion from Make It In March Competition 2022:

Hello all, this is my first post on this forum. Having just watched Colwins video on Penguins (and many more) He mentioned making a chess set so thought I would share this picture with you of one that I made in the first lockdown. Being new I couldn’t quite work out where I should post it.

As you may notice there is a draw under the board for the pieces when not in use, it has adjustable feet and the lines to define the squares are resin with copper granules and filings that catch the light and match the old world theme of the farmhouse of the intended owners. It was the first time I had tried to make a number of pieces that went anywhere near to matching each other.

A collection of keepsakes made from my mother-in-laws old rolling pin, unfortunately she had to go in
to care so we had to clear the house and rather than throw the rolling pin away I thought I would recycle it, I made a markIng knife for my brother in law as he is a joiner, I used an old saw blade I had laying about for the blade, a perfume atomiser for the sister in law and a slimline heart pen and small trinket box for my wife. The pyrography was created using a laser engraver. I had to add some extra wood to the trinket box to increase the diameter to fit the hinge, not sure what wood it is but the spalting seems to work quite well.

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from Make It In March Competition 2022:

I made this for my Grandson

Spalted Beach hollow form with Yew finial on a Laburnum lid

1 Like

Made a small bridge for my elderly neighbour so she can cross the brook at the bottom of her garden #MakeItInMarch22

1 Like

IMG_6785

A little embrassed submitting my project having seen some of the other, but here goes…

I am new to woodworking (learning from a combination of CSE Woodworking 40 years ago at school, youtube and trial & error) and coverted my small garage during lockdown, a great way to switch off from work. We have had some building work done in the house which included removing some oak beams which i have used to build a mobile but solid workbench. All with traditional joints (mortice & tenon, draw bore, dovetails, etc.) which has been great fun and practice. Just finishing the vice jaws and building a tool tray for the rear etc. Then will add the finish.

3 Likes

il_340x270.3764785677_ik5k
Hi there, I love big cats and this is my take on the Leopard. I used the CNC machine to cut the initial shapes and then cut all the detail and surrounds with my Foredom drive.Its on a piece of Sapele which is 50mm thick and 260mm square. I finished off with a microcrystaline wax to keep all the colour variations of the wood.

1 Like

Current fanfret guitar nearing completion. Acacia Blackwood back/sides - ziricote fingerboard - flamed maple neck - double X bracing - European Spruce top.

3 Likes

First go at a multi wood robot for my new grandchild.

1 Like

Here is my first clock. It’s made from one piece of rosewood with a couple of brass accents.

The idea came about when I cut into a reclaim table leg and found the sapwood was reminiscent of a crescent moon. That combined with the size of the piece made it ideal for a bedside clock.

The face is hand sanded to 2500 grit giving it an almost mirror finish. I used a belt sander to carve the facets on the side of the case before hand sanding up to 1000.

The inlay and feet are made from 8mm brass rod, which is a pain to cut with a blunt jnr hacksaw (not a foot time for the bandsaw to be out of action). I chucked up the feet in my hand drill and turns them with some sand paper until they were nicely rounded.

I really enjoyed designing and making the clock. I couldn’t be prouder of how it turned out.

1 Like

Empress rollerball turn out of African Blackwood on AC355WL

#MakeItInMarch22

1 Like

#MakeItInMarch22 hashtag
I’ve just started my woodworking journey and this is the third toy I’ve made. Still learning but I’ve already got hooked. This is my latest creation a model T tank truck.

1 Like

Floating chessboard
Edging made from many offcuts!

#MakeItInMarch2022

1 Like

#makeitinmarch22
A cabinet I have made from Oak, Ash, Bog Oak, and Padouk. Very happy with the finished product!

2 Likes

1 Like

Gate to screen and secure bins. Softwood frame mortice and wedged through tenons, oak vertical slats glued and dowelled to frame. Slats still to be oiled. Top of slats were to be trimmed level but my daughter favours it as is, it reminds her of organ pipes

1 Like

#MakeItInMarch22
A little project I’ve just completed for a friend, loves David Coverdale and Whitesnake.
This is made from ash burnt to enhance the grain with a hammered mild steel frame

1 Like