Wood glue curing

Is it a good or bad idea to heat wood glue with a heat gun while it is setting.
I am a generally impatient person :grin:

Iā€™ve never tried that but the intense heat might have a detrimental effect on the timber. What I have done though in the past is to use an ordinary electric iron to speedily set a small area of PVA glue (say as in a repair). I just use a couple of thicknesses of brown paper between the iron and the job to stop local burning; the heat from the iron will set the glue in less than 30 seconds.

Iā€™ve not tried them but I think Titebond has different grades of glue that cure at different rates?

Iā€™ve been using Gorilla ('cos I had some given to me) and that seems to cure pretty quickly, but depends, obviously, on the material being glued.

Thanks for that Woodbloke, My description is a bit mis-leading, I donā€™t actually use a high heat gun instead I use a hairdryer. It is useful to dry my hair with as well. :tipping_hand_man:t3:

Hi robgul, Iā€™ve got some gorilla glue but, Iā€™ve never had any success using it, my wood glue works well itā€™s just that I have very little patience.
Roy

Not all adhesives cure faster with heat - those that do are normally the two part glues. Some of the others require a reaction with moisture and heating may well slow the setting rate. You need to look at the manufacturers data sheets to find out how the strength develops at different temperatures. From my experience with some 2 part glues you need to keep the adhesive at the elevated temperature for the specified time plus a safety margin. If you allow it to cool part the way through you can often end up with a weak joint.

One good example where heat does not help is animal glue and its derivatives where heating is used to soften the joint allowing it to be dismantled or in the case of veneer removed.

1 Like

Depends on glue type. Some like it hot (but not too hot), some like moisture, some go soft when warmed.
There are variations within a type - goodā€™ol 2-part Araldite has normal and rapid versions, and then thereā€™s cyanoacrylatesā€¦

Reading the instructions can give a clue.

I agree with previous writers that you need to read the relevant data sheets. If you cannot increase the curing speed of your present glue you will need to research other types until you find one that will suit your requirements.

Clamps and Patience Glasshopper!!!

I have lots of clampsā€¦:grin:. Roy

1 Like

With the current job in the 'shop, Iā€™ve got for the ā€˜old skoolā€™ standard Araldite, some tubes of which I bought for a very reasonable sum from EvilBayā€¦at least half price bearing in mind that itā€™s hideously expensive to start with. That said, it will give me an hour+ to play around with the assembly to make sure itā€™s up together properly, the downside being that Iā€™ll have to leave well alone in the cramps for at least 24hrs.

Thereā€™s a type of glue that sets when exposed to UV. I havenā€™t tried it yet, but itā€™s clear, stays malleable so that parts can be positioned, then sets hard, seemingly immediately, when exposed to a UV source.
It sounds ideal, so in my skeptical view there must be some drawbackā€¦

google ā€˜UV curing adhesivesā€™.

Hi, Iā€™ve looked at these UV glues but havenā€™t yet tried them. At the cost it could only be used occasionally on small jobs. I have a set of very old hunting scene ceramic ornaments with horse and rider, hounds and a fox, some with broken tails and am sure that glue would be suitable for the repairs, if I go that route I will try it on some wood.

You can never have too many G clamps particularly if you build boats.

I wonder what they did when they built the ā€˜wooden wallā€™ warships without modern metal clamps ?

Hmm I donā€™t know about the old boat builders but I think weā€™re more inventive than we are, they had to be. With regards to clamps I have a wall full of all sizes and types and I keep being asked ā€œwhat the hell do you want all of those forā€.

One way that was used in the past was to use a twisted rope windlass. Also Wedges against a fixed perhaps temporary frame.

My recent recors for clamp use was I think 18, 9 per side of the bed I was making - I did not want to put to many screws in so I glued and screwed the rail to the side and then clamped it white the glue set.