Make It In March Competition 2021

Just finished this geodesic dome greenhouse.

4 Likes

well looking at the quality of projects on here, my mirror frame made from sawn maple looks really simple, however one thing this novice has learnt is:
“good quality tools can make all the difference to one’s project, otherwise a great deal of patience is required”

Regards Andy H

1 Like

Just finished yarn bowl, 1st time making bowl with curved sides, using Jet 22b scroll saw purchased from Axminster, not sure of the wood, was lying around the garage.

1 Like

my first attempt at a handmade kitchen, birch ply carcasses with solid tulip wood doors and face frames!

3 Likes

My niece started her first job as a dental assistant on the 1st March so I made her a pen holder / toothbrush holder in the shape of a tooth and wood burned some dental tools and writing onto it.

1 Like

After a trip to Japan many years ago I have always wanted to turn a Japanese tea box.
So for the March competition I decided to give it a go.
It was my most technical turned item I have made to date, as I had to make up a few jigs to hold the various pieces to turn the inside as well as both lids.
The wood is Beech I was gifted by a friend. Finished in Beeswax

1 Like

This is my first large wood build project that I designed and built my self with the inspiration of a photo my Fiance found on eBay. I started end of February and managed to complete on the 6th March 2021. I Made this cot for my first born (baby girl) who is due on the 16th March 2021.
The cot has 4 different height settings of adjustment. And has two large draws for storage on the base.
The front and rear side guards rails can actually be removed and the cot will turn into a bed mattress is 700/1400mm

The entire cot is made from ash although the base of the draws is 8mm hard wood ply board.
I coated the cot in a danish oil for long term protection.
I used live edge Ash timber from my local sawmill in Wentwood, it Cost me an absolute fortune. But I’m hopeful this will become a family heirloom…
I processed the timber from tree sawn slabs to what you see.
I’m very pleased and proud with how it’s turned out.
Thanks for looking.

1 Like

Just finished this 8 inch chef knife. O1 tool steel blade, rivited brass bolster, black micarta handle with brass pins, sheath/knife block is mahogany from an old staircase. Bevels hand filed (approx 10 hours filing on each side💪) hope you like it
New user so it will only let me upload one photo

1 Like

So I’ve spent my March adding the finishing touches to my turnable lighters. All designed, developed and handmade by me.

1 Like

1:40 scale Beech Lancaster Bomber I made to go with a 1:40 Spitfire I made a few years back - gives it a 77cm wingspan! Including swivelling gun turrets and propellers. Lockdown, and avoiding uni exam revision, was the perfect time to get on with this as it’s been on my to do list for a while.

#MakeItInMarch21
@axminstertools

5 Likes

My version of the Keil Kraft Falcon by Albert Hatfull 1949. 151” wing span (3.8 Meters ) 1.57 times larger than the original. Three channel control , electric powered model aircraft.

1 Like

Deleted post found out how to post multiple photos.

Being a NHS Frontline worker I needed something to do to take my mind off my work. Having also lost my Father, who I was carer to (not to Covid I mention) I now needed to do more with the woods that has been in my family other than producing wood for the fire.
In the woods I have a lot of ivy growing up mature trees, of course after many, many years the tree dies leaving this circular ivy growing which eventually falls down.
I strip the bark off the ivy, then use English maple from the wood to cut into 2mm strips, sanded to 240 grit I make wooden ivy leaves & butterflies.
Ash wood is also cut into veneer about 0.5mm thick to make the primrose leaves & flowers & also the odd Ladybird inlayed with Copper along with the stalks for the ivy leaves & legs of the butterflies.
Adding an Edison LED Light makes it just as inviting as an open log fire.

2 Likes

Just finished making Buble the robot from the O2 adverts out of Teak.

Designed and made this outdoor storage shelter for the little ones toys and bits and pieces. Offers lots of space for storage and doubles as an outdoor store for pantry items and a great serving bench for BBQs in the summer

1 Like

Nice little yew river table for Mother’s Day.

2 Likes

Solid Bubinga stave drum kit. 20" 14" and 10" shells. Shown with my Oak, Purpleheart and Padauk snare I made last year during the first lockdown.

1 Like

I already had the antique wheels axle and springs, so I restored them and built this handcart
20210311_154028 cart|676x500

#MakeItInMarch21

Somewhere to hang the coat in our new home. I must say uploading this photo was harder than making the project.

!

1 Like

Cabinet made from poplar and the top from various oak offcuts finished in Osmo wood wax finish white followed by Osmo Top Oil clear satin.

1 Like