Make It In March Competition 2021

Originally published at: Our Make It In March Competition Is Back - The Knowledge Blog

Whether it’s modelmaking, woodturning or furniture making, we want to see what you are making this March. Launched more than three years ago, our Make it in March competition has grown in popularity and encourages woodworkers to get in their workshops and produce a range of top quality projects to share with us. And not…

Read more and learn how to enter

20210117_135856|375x500

500mm capcity drum thickness sander, 1hp motor, and electronic readout and safety interlock. All my own design, including electronics :+1:

2 Likes

Sweet dispenser project for yr 10 SEN students.

1 Like

This has been on the bench for some time, but gradually I’m designing and building this 1/20th Scale Burrell traction engine.

!

The plan for March is to make the engine that bolts onto the top of the boiler and drives the flywheel. The gearing and differential will then come after that.

Best regards, Nigel

2 Likes

I have made a double ended chaise longue from steam bent ash strips and iron legs with stainless steel rope struts. It will have a slim full length cushion covered with Maroccan woven carpet. Here it is finished waiting for the cushion.

2 Likes

As it is March, now is a good time to rough turn the last of the timber felled over the winter, when the sap is down. This means that the wood has a lower moisture content, and is less subject to cracking as it dries. Chances further boosted by sealing the endgrain. Not quite making in March, rather preparing in March for making in September, but hopefully it still counts! These bowls are from a large lime, which turns beautifully :smile:

1 Like

Hi Ax, here is a simple project of wall panelling for design and also to hide some cables for LEDs in the wardrobe (fused spurred off existing socket). The tricky bit was cutting the panelling all the same width - No problem for the Festool TS55 and angles with an Ax Japanese pull saw. MRMDF used for neater cut edges. Thanks

1 Like

1 Like

Needed a seat for the workshop and builders donated a scaffold board, now indoors as a side table- too much time spent alone in the garage?

1 Like

Here’s my current project - 18th century Shield Tavern clock.
I started this last year and hope to have it finished this year. Everything you see in the photo is less than six months old (apart from the pendulum and brass finials at the top). This is my third Tavern clock and I try to keep the materials used true to tradition - there are no cross headed screws used here! The dial is made from oak planks. The trunk is pine sides and back with oak to the front (the pine is to keep the weight down). I’ve done all the dial decoration by hand and the gilding is 23ct gold. The hands are cut from a 250 year old brass plate.

Now the weather is improving, the clock, which is currently working well, will come back off the wall and, hopefully, by the end of March, I will have the trunk door cut (from oak) and the curved bottom panel (also oak) made and fitted. Then all the sharp edges will be ‘aged’ (sanded and then ‘abraded’ with various hard objects).

When all this is done, the trunk will be finished in black and the gold decorations added. Now there’s a challenge for March!

The final step will be adding the ‘centuries of grime’ to match the dial.

Period items will be - movement, pendulum, finials, hinges and lock for the trunk door. I will have created everything else.

As a new user, I can’t post any other photos of the dial being made, maybe later.

1 Like

This is my first attempt at making a wooden toy / vehicle. It is a Mercedes Truck, made with Beech, Red Gum, Walnut and Oak.

Poplar shaker style kitchen underway. Beaded face frame done on UKJ router table and timber all machined using Axminster trade table saw, surface planer and dust extractor. Also used axcaliber shaker rail and style router bit.

1 Like

Last week I was asked if I could help with a swift nest box project in a local village here in Wiltshire. The boxes were no problem but they needed egg trays to go in them. So I have donated my time and came up with 60 of them. 120mm square untreated pine, simple and very therapeutic to turn. Also effective enough for me to be asked to make some more!

I hope that the swifts like them :laughing:

1 Like

My first and second project proper since getting my craft lathe out of the box. lock down snookered my wood turning 2 day course last year, so I’ve been using Colwin Ways’ videos to learn techniques and tool use. the wood came from a tree I’d cut in the garden last year (don’t know what sort) and it’s been my source of practice pieces.

2 Likes

Beam Engine

Just finished this. It was my first attempt at using wood for models that are normally made from metal. The model, a Beam Engine, is made from walnut and oak. The model measures 200mm long and 150mm high. The wood is sanded and finished with Liberon Finishing Oil. I used a 3018 CNC machine and a Proxxon lathe. The model of course does not work (as in is not steam powered) but it is fully articulated. I have now started on a 1/20th scale Allchin Traction Engine also in wood but using Boxwood as well as Oak and Walnut. I think this will take quite a long time!

1 Like

Uploading: IMG_20210219_223632.jpg…
My wife said that I couldn’t make a Dalek so my daughter and I decided to prove her wrong. For those of you who are interested I thought the knots looked reminiscent of the time vortex

I made this plate rack for a lady with a very small kitchen. It is made from beech and pine. The boards were bought from a charity shop and biscuit jointed together and the shelves are dowelled to the beech uprights. I am not formally trained and this is one of my first attempts. Thanks to Axminster Tools for quite a lot of my equipment!
#makeitinmarch
2021-03-04T00:00:00Z

2 Likes

#MakeItInMarch21 @axminstertools

first woodwork project of an absolute beginner, go easy on me.

1 Like

Here is the window seat I built for my wife, using just a circular saw, drill and driver. It’s the first piece of fitted furniture I’ve ever built and third overall (garden bench & coffee table)

It’s taken roughly two months due to only getting in the shed during my youngest daughters naps.

I’m super happy with how it came out. It suits the room perfectly and makes good use of what was pretty much dead space. Hand sanded chamfer around the draw fronts give it a bit of interest. Also has a little bit of storage behind each of the shelf units.

1 Like

Iroko skylight for my Dutch Barge house boat project.

1 Like