Make It In March Competition 2021

Some time ago I saw some brilliant wooden rings and I was wondering how do they do it. I watched lots of videos and eventually I decided to give it a go. I found some cutters and I started to play a bit. Some stuff that people do is just AMAZING! It’s time consuming but so satisfying. Anyway, long time ago I was thinking about making a wooden jewellery box. I thought it would be a good idea to mix up my new hobby - wooden jewellery - with this project. American walnut jewellery box with removable divider. On top a wooden heart with two simple rings.

1 Like

Shallow oak fruit bowl finished with pure tung oil and a platter which came from the same piece of wood finished in butcher block oil. Still pretty new to turning (had my AC305 a while but not spent as much time on it as I wanted) but was pretty pleased how these came out. Also pictured is Petal the little robot which me and my little girl Nyah made, another good beat the boredom idea. All made in March #MakeItInMarch21

1 Like

Here’s my first ever woodwork project. I have been inspired to start woodworking recently from inheriting a large set of woodwork tools from my father in law - thanks Reg! Making this workbench using hand tools only has taught me a huge amount and should be extremely useful for future projects.

A friend ask if I could do something with a magnifying glass he had, It was just the glass and he wanted some kind of surround.
After much thought I decided the best wood to use was bamboo, strong but most of all stable in all conditions. Anyway I laminated two pieces together with apposing grain for strength with the glass glued into a recess on both pieces. With the leftover bamboo I then made a display case just to finish it off.

I am a 14 year old passionate woodworker and have just finished my 3rd project.This project is a tinted resin table with welded legs.

Now this is what happens when curtailed by a year long lockdown. It was finally warm enough a couple of weeks ago to get back out into the workshop and build this cupboard to house some tools. I really am going to have to get out more!

1 Like

My first ever woodworking project. Made from scrap timber from a neighbours skip. It may lack the complicated finesse of other entrants in the competition but I like it, the birds like it and I now have the woodworking bug. Have set up a production line. Just need some proper tools now! #MakeItInMarch21 @axminstertools

@axminster_staff

2 Likes

#MakeItInMarch
This is a 1:5 scale model of a chair design for the course I’m currently on. Made on the dining room table out of ash, elastic and painted canvas.

Lounge chair.
First bit of furniture I have made using a template bit on the router. Templates cut out of MDF and hand sanded down, then clamped to the timber.

Sorry Lisa

i still don’t see how you enter and i cant find the options you offered

I don’t do twitter or facebook so that doesn’t works either

any other clues please

steve

This sphere is made up of 120 separate pieces.
Constructed from 12 Pentagons with 5 pointed stars inserted. The pentagons are formed into a ball
And finally turned on a lathe. Several jigs are made to aid accuracy and safety when handling very small section on machines and hand tools. The stand is self explanatory. Sorry my name is Fred

1 Like

Hand made, bespoke veneered deer head side table. For my level 2 final piece. Made From walnut, maple, rippled sycamore, oak/stained and London plane.

1 Like

Maple and wenge folding bowl. Lots of ripping, gluing and thicknessing on Axminster tools. Leather hinges held in place with polished brass plates.

1 Like

A fine piece of craft, nice work :+1:

Oak workbench to fit my new single garage workshop. Good use for the old worktop after the kitchen rebuild & looking forward to putting it to good use :v:

1 Like

Hi, Whilst running a tree surgery business i was able to collect lots of ‘interesting’ wood.This small coffee table is made from a piece of Yew.Rot pockets were cleaned out, filled with resin at the same time incorporating dried pressed leaves.

My entry is an ash coffee table I made with steam bent legs. This was my first project to involve steam bending and my second large build having only been woodworking for just over a year. I hope you enjoy the contemporary design I was trying to achieve.

1 Like

Angel Wing Harp Guitar completed yesterday.

Harp guitar +new owner.

1 Like

I am a Year 11 student, and this box is my GCSE project prototype for an Artist's toolbox. Due to the Lockdown and being stuck at home we have not been able to do any practical at school, but I am fortunate enough that my Dad gave me access to his workshop at home so I could build my project toolbox to practise my skills and techniques ready for making at school if I get the chance.

All of the proportions (including the spacing of the finger joints) is based on Phi (1.618) or the ‘Golden Ratio.’ Fittingly, I cut a solid Brass Phi symbol and inlaid it into a turned Lacewood disk which I then inset into the lid. The box is made from Lacewood and Beech, with Birch plywood, elastic, cork, laser cut Acrylic and faux leather incorporated as well. The tray and lid have spline reinforced mitre joints, and I have inlaid banding on the lid. I used Brusso stop hinges and a push catch that locks the lid down, this, with my own design of a plywood backing piece and elastic woven in to hold the pens and pencils in an easy to access way, keeps the contents of the box safe. The curves on the sides of the box are for your hands to fit into, to pick up the box, and I used the same curve for the lid handle for aesthetics.
The tray can be slid underneath the box, so you can access pens in the tray, box and lid all at the same time for maximum efficiency when working.

2 Likes