Make It In March Competition 2021

My first attempt at Oak Panelling using Axcaliber Ogee Kitchen Door Router Cutter Set

1 Like

The “Salcombe Razor”
Cedar Strip 5 meter skull coastal rowing boat to new design.
Current project started in January.
2 x 150mm x 50mm Wester Red Cedar boards reclaimed from the foundations of a bridge in Vancouver, planed, thicknesses and cut into 80 off 6mm x 19mm strips using AXMINSTER craft AC250PT and AC216TS.
Mahogany bow and transom from restoration of 1947 Salcombe yawl.
Hull weight 11.5kg

1 Like

I made this squirrel proof bird table for my Mother in Law.
I used western red cedar strips heat bent with a hot air gun fixed down over elm arches on a marine ply base. The brass wire was silver soldered to form a barrier to squirrels but allow small birds in. One end hinges down

to allow food to be placed in side.

1 Like

Thanks Ian.
The cheeks, trail and fellows are walnut, the spokes oak and the hubs bog oak. the trail hitch and trunnion caps are aluminium.
Mike.

MARCH COMPETITION
WC Paper + Magazine Rack in front of WC.
Very tight space - so recessed in wall.
Materials = White waxed birch ply + stainless steel rod.

Just starting out as a woodworker and decided the first tool I needed was a workbench. Have been constructing this modified ‘Moravian’-style workbench out of plywood. Almost complete but still a few evenings to go so I am not sure if it qualifies for #MakeitinMarch. As budgets are tight, this has cost in total £300 and will have a carriage tail vice and leg vice. Top is 100mm thick and it will have a sacrificial 9mm hardboard top so that if it gets too banged up, I can replace easily and get it flat again. Hope to put a quick video on YouTube to document, as work benches are so expensive, especially when just starting out. All clamps and most tools used came from Axminister, so thank you!

#makeitinmarch2021 Just finished this wall hanging 3 compartment Dove Cote

#makeitinmarch2021
I made this box for organising screws and small things in my workshop.
It is made with Teak and has Rosewood lid with a small ebony pull.
Inside a tray and dividers gives a lot of space for storage.

It was a really wonderful to work with wood of different nature and characteristics. It just made the whole process so much richer and satisfying.

#MakeItInMarch21
My entry is a sideboard based on an expanded version of Michael Pekovich’s writing desk. First biggish piece of furniture since leaving school. I’me now 56! Pippy oak and Ash base. Raised dovetail joints and an internal drawer. !

1 Like

Carved in Lime A gift for my daughter.

Here is my entry, it’s still a work in progress but its going to be a free standing photobooth for our up and coming wedding. It’ll house all the electronics from, camera, pc, monitor, storage and flash control.

I’ve designed it in software and then used an open source 3D printed CNC machine i designed (Root CNC) to cut the parts out.

It’s going to be stain to hopefully show off the layers of the plywood.

#makeitinmarch2021
This is a little stool I just finished, it’s made of Yew and measures 9" across and 10" high. I kept as much sapwood as I could to contrast with the heartwood and I tried to avoid having a milled look. The legs and T supports were turned and then glued with epoxy and I finished it all with boiled linseed oil. It was a fun project and the first time I tried my hand at a 3 legged stool. For my next project I’m very excited to make a shave horse.

Here is my entry

for the Make it in March 2021 Competition. Having recently retired I wanted to make a workbench optimised for woodworking with my new collection of power tools, having each tool out of the box in an accessible cubby to hand and the accessories from the Systainers readily accessible below. The bench ends have my clamps, a paper roll and power and vacuum for my table saw which lives in a custom cart, I made so the bench height is perfect for outfeed.

The bench rises on linear actuators onto castors within the wise legs and is fully mobile before being dropped down again for a solid working surface.

I made the top using the orange UJK HDF Valchromat top for Parf Dogs as a template along with the guide pups from the UJK Cam & Wedge Clamping Set.

In addition to my entry photograph I was going to show the vertical clamping surfaces which can be fitted to and protrude beyond the lower rail and connect via through dogs at the edge of the work surface but was unable to upload an additional image.

Round the back is the self contained vacuum unit with two stage dust extraction (nearly finished) and a heavy duty lockable shelf drawer upon which I hope to mount a Axminster Trade AT330ST Thicknesser Spiral Block on a scissor jack so that I can raise it and slide it onto the bench myself. There will be a blast gate for it above the larger sawdust drawer and I’m doing the hoses right now.

I just need to save up for it!

Hello, Gilly here. Last July my nieces bought me a wood whittling kit for my birthday and I was hooked but then I discovered Colwin’s wood turning sessions on You tube!! I bought my Axminster lathe in October 2020 and with a great deal of trepidation began to turn wood, with a few near misses on the way. this month I have produced a pot pourri bowl and a vase containing flowers. Phew! I hope you like the vase and thank you for inspiring me to take up this wonderful hobby.

Regards gilly.

The picture depicts my musical desktop pen stand / clock. Lifting the pen operates the musical movement (für elise). Lowering the pen switches the music off.

Been making this desk for my first commission. The top is made from American black walnut and Canadian white maple. To accompany this is an electric standing desk frame.

Here’s my project, Train Planter, made in the garden - due to lack of space in my shed which is currently being converted in to a workshop following my new found Wood Turning passion. Funnels, lights, axels, wheels, cart buffers and tank nose were all turned on my new lathe recently purchased from Axminster Sittingbourne. These are some of my first Turned items as very knew to Turning - but now have the bug and addicted to watching Colwin and the guys on Woodworking Wisdom- which is fantastic! looking to get much more creative…just got to keep my Chisels sharp

1 Like

With the summer days about to arrive, made a garden chair to get some tan on. It’s comfy and a balanced design. Made only with palet wood and reclaimed planks!

1 Like

This is my first chair and my most ambitious project to date. It’s a half-scale model of a Charles Rennie Macintosh chair.
The arms, seat and back are made from elm and the legs from oak. The side and front panels are oak-veneered MDF.

I have just put the finishing touches to my CONSOLE TABLE for the hall as my contribution to the competition. It was conceived to complement and build on the oak bending skills first discovered when making the handrail for the stairs last year (it can be seen in the background of some pictures: helped to bend by taking it into the sauna with me!:).

I bought a few raw catspaw oak half tree slabs 20 years ago on a whim with some floorboards and have been wondering what do with them! I met a generous man with a seriously huge thicknesser (1930s bought from Gloucester Bus Coachworks), and the table was born. About fifty passes later we had a consistent surface and then I tapered the ends using a router and hand planer to reduce the chunkiness. The leg buttresses were part sawn into slats with a thin bandsaw and glued into arches on a jig using two West System resin. The legs are tapered into the main slab at the top to get a tight joint, and a reverse taper and gentle and equal splay in all directions set for aesthetics. This made fitting the buttresses rather tricky as each thus needed a double or sometimes compound triple angle at each end.

Anyway, it gets used and is rock solid so considered a success by the household! Thanks for looking, Olly.

1 Like