Make It In March Competition 2022

1 Like

My first woodwork attempt, made from pallets and copper this drinks bar I created for my wife’s friend’s. Sorry I can’t show the front with cartoon picture of their dog as it only has let me post 1 picture :weary:

1 Like

A dressing table/writing desk made from American black walnut, featuring a tilting mirror suspended in a bent laminated oval frame, a leather writing pad and leather lined drawers. The two drawers feature dovetails that were all cut by hand and I turned the brass drawer pulls on a lathe.

#MakeItInMarch22
@axminstertools

Upcycling of a broken (cheap) Amazon desk lamp + first ever attempt at bent lamination + some valuable time in the workshop with the eldest = a new solid oak lamp to go back to his university flat.

#MakeItInMarch22

This is my drinks cabinet for the Made it in March competition. It is made from sapele with a oak top . I made the legs removable so I can fit it in my car, they are bolted on behind the supports for the glass shelf which are on dowls to make them removable. For the base I glued a bur veneer to plywood and for the back I glued in a acrylic mirror which makes the cabinet feel bigger and lighter. all the boards I planed by hand and finished with Rubio monocoat.
If anyone has any advice to get the grain and the rays to show up better in photos it would be greatly received. Thanks #SamMadeItInMarch:)

1 Like

IMG_2225

Coffee table made from oak using an Axminster pocket hole jig for the joints with Roman tesserae inset.

1 Like

Just finished my first ever wood-working project: a 7-course renaissance lute. One of the most rewarding things I’ve ever done and now looking forward to making many more. Made it following plans from my luthier neighbour, and made entirely with hand tools I bought for the project. Currently planning the next instrument and dreaming of a properly equipped workshop! Ribs of yew, soundboard Alpine spruce, ebony and holly veneers and spacers, plum for bridge and pegs, cedrela for the neck and beech for the peg box. @axminstertools #MakeItInMarch22

2 Likes

#Makeitinmarch22 @Axminstertools

1 Like

A cherry chest-come-seat for the lobby, to sit on whilst changing shoes from indoors to outdoors & vice-versa but also to store dog-towels to wipe the murk from the happy beasts on their return from the country walks.

The item is made to exactly fit the small space for it in the lobby, opposite a similarly-styled cherry shoe rack and hook-mirror on which hang the hats, scarves and dog leads.

The box sides are of high quality cherry-veneered blockboard whilst all the rest is solid cherry from a variety of reclamation sources. There are some small mahogany decorative supports under the top shelf and the arms, as well as those rather nice poppy tiles. African Blackwood plugs cover some of the dowel joints. Joinery is mostly “honest” (dowels & housing joints) with some Dominoes to attach the box sides to the legs. Dyed black holly stringing covers the blockboard to solid cherry lipping joints.

Finish is several coats of Liberon Finishing Oil, after planing, scraping and sanding to 320 grit. The fine figure in the cherry is enhanced by one coat of Liberon Medium Mahogany wax, followed by a later coat of Alfie-Shine to give it the full albeit muted gleam.

The style is something of an Arts & Crafts mishmash. The seat is bifold with large and substantial solid brass hinges. Made with many tool types, including both machine and hand tools.

1 Like

#MakeItInMarch22 @axminstertools

I made this for my son to hold his belongings for his loft bed that I made him from some leftover white wood and finished with a bit of quick-dry tung oil.
#MakeItInMarch22
@axminstertools

A simple but satisfying shelving project started and finished In March. Having just moved house having a small selection of hand tools no storage yet and a second hand old Axminster bench and having limited access to space I set about making some shelves for our living room. I wanted something chunky , solid, and to learn skills with. Boards were planed then rebates for shelf brackets cut by knife chisel and record router plane. Edges chamfered with a plane . The plugs and screw holes were cut with trend plug cutters and once in chiseled flat then scraped to prevent ebony sanding dust contaminating the crisp cream ash.
They are ash with olive ash brackets and ebony screw plugs. I used a belt sander in the vice to finish the cornel bracket curves. I do t have a spindle sander. The brackets are fitted with keyhole escutcheons to sit on a screw with a screw lower down to hold the brackets.
Finished with a boiled linseed oil and wax mix ten polished.

#MakeItInMarch22
This is a copy of a coffin smoothing plane I bought from an antiques fair. It’s Maple with an Ash wedge. Works a treat.

2 Likes

I made this child’s chair for my grandson.
I started with a section of Ash tree trunk which I cleaved, prepared and turned. I steam bent the back uprights and slats. After staining, I assembled the chair then polished and waxed it. The last stage was to weave a rush seat.

#MakeitinMarch22

2 Likes

Prototype portable workbench to use hold down clamps in any position across the bench as well as enabling the use of UJK PARF Guide system clamps, bench dogs and accessories.

1 Like

I present you small Japanese box made with only hand tools by off-cuts of oak, ash, maple and beech.

Hi Harriet
Here is my entry for the’ Make it in March 2022’ competition.
Please find attached photo. I’m a first timer, so please let me know if this didn’t work!
Thanks
Pete

The chair I made in March! Steam bent back, turned green ash spindles, split tenons, wool upholstery!

Hello all :slight_smile:
Here is my entry for Make it in March 2022’ competition